York Garrison, located in Toronto, is the largest of ten 78th Fraser Highlanders outposts in North America. Regimental Headquarters are located in Montreal, Quebec.
Our objectives are to preserve the memory of the 78th Fraser Highlanders (1757-1763) and the role our Regiment played in Canadian, and Canadian Military history, to celebrate the contributions of early Scottish immigrants to Canadian culture, and to provide financial assistance to other organizations that parallel our objectives.
Members (Officers) of the Garrison enjoy the camaraderie of our period Regimental Dinners, which are carried out with the greatest authenticity. Other more casual events provide less formal opportunities to get together, and enjoy each other’s company. Ladies are encouraged to join us at several special events each year.
Officers are encouraged to participate in drill practice, where they perfect their knowledge of authentic 18th Century foot and weapons drill. Successful trainees can join The Honourable Guard, an elite unit that represents us at special public functions. Allied to the Honourable Guard is the Musket Squad, whose precision drill and acumen with their Brown Bess Muskets is a highlight of many parades.
Annually, we present our Bear Hackle Award to a distinguished Canadian figure, ranging from current serving military, politicians, authors, journalists and many others, whose contributions have supported the awareness of Canadian military, and Canadian military history.
We invite you to explore our website and reach us if you have any questions about our charitable organization.
Richard Dodds, OHG
Major – Officer Commanding
78th Fraser Highlanders, York Garrison
The 78th Regiment, Second Highland Battalion of Foot, commonly called Fraser’s Highlanders was raised in Scotland in 1757, specifically for service in North America. It played a daring and romantic role in the major battles of the Seven Years’ War, a war which ultimately determined Canada’s future. Although the regiment was disbanded in Quebec in 1763, it was the only Scottish regiment ever to be disbanded on foreign soil. The men of the 78th were first among the many thousands of “red-coated” settlers who remained in Canada. Since that time, their family trees have flourished placing their descendants throughout the country and the continent.
At the behest of Lord Chatham, Colonel Simon Fraser, Master of Lovat, raised the Regiment under Warrant for King George II. The 1,500 men were recruited largely from clansmen, who, a dozen years earlier had fought for Bonnie Prince Charlie in the War of ’45. When an official high in authority questioned the wisdom of arming former rebels, General James Wolfe defensively replied, “If a Highlander gives his oath, he can be completely trusted”.
The Regiment sailed from Scotland, via Ireland, to Halifax before moving north to lay seige and then capture the mighty French Fortress Louisbourg in 1758. The men wintered in Connecticut and southern New York State before undertaking the Quebec campaign throughout the summer of 1759. It was the largest regiment on the Plains of Abraham and suffered the heaviest casualties.
Within the walls of the old fortified city, the bitter winter of 1759-60 played heavily on the health of the soldiers. Tradition holds that the Ursuline Nuns came to the Highlanders aid by knitting longer hose to reduce their exposure to the elements!
The next spring, despite a French victory at St. Foy, just outside of Quebec, the British Army, now under the command of General Murray, moved onto Montreal, which was surrendered in September 1760. For the first time since the onset of the War, the 78th was garrisoned with the other two Highland Regiments in the campaign, the 77th Montgomery’s and the 42nd, The Black Watch.
The surrender of Montreal effectively ended the war in North America although the 78th did take part in the re-capture of St. John’s Newfoundland in September 1761. It would be two years before the war was to be settled in Europe. In the meantime, since a number of the men spoke French (due to their Jacobite connection) and were Catholic, they were well respected by the French Canadians in the area. When word was received of the disbandment of the Regiment while in Quebec, many decided to stay on land grants and many married into French Canadian families. During their short stay in Quebec, members of the Regiment were also responsible for establishing the first Presbyterian church in Canada and the first Masonic Lodge, as well as introducing the game of curling on the frozen rivers and lakes.
Even the men who went home to Scotland after the War could not forget their North American experience. Many returned to fight in the American Revolution under Major-General Simon Fraser forming the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 71st Regiment (Fraser’s Highlanders). In Canada, Lt. Colonel Allen Maclean raised the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 84th Regiment (Royal Highland Emigrants) from soldiers who had fought in the previous war.
Others returned independently to establish business concerns, notably in the fur trade, where they or their descendants explored and opened the continent naming such rivers as the MacKenzie and the Fraser.
The influence of the original 1,500 men of this Regiment on Canadian and North American history is still evolving. New historical discoveries are still being made which further indicate that this Regiment deserves a special place in our military tradition.
During preparations for Montreal’s EXPO’67, the Montreal Military & Maritime Museum (now called The David M. Stewart Museum) revived two historic Regiments – La Compagnie Franche de la Marine and The 78th Fraser’s Highlanders. Through the leadership of Colonel J. Ralph Harper and Colonel David M. Stewart, research was undertaken to reproduce the uniform and equipment of these 18th century soldiers. With the prototype in hand, the call was issued, and the ranks were quickly filled with eager university, college and high school students.
During the mid-1970s the growing need to supplement Regimental income became apparent. The suggestion of Lieutenant-Colonel J. Ross Oborne to form Outposts in other parts of Canada won the approval of the Colonel Commandant, Colonel J. R. Harper. Funds were raised through the 18th century tradition of allowing suitable and interested officers to purchase commissions. Since its humble beginnings in 1976, membership has grown to over 500 Officers and Regimental Ladies in the Regimental Headquarters, the Fort St. Helen Garrison (Montreal), the St. Andrew’s Garrison (Quebec City), the Fort Glengarry Garrison (Ottawa), the York Garrison (Toronto), Fort Garry Garrison (Winnipeg), Fort Calgary Garrison (Calgary), Fort Fraser Garrison (Vancouver), Fort Vancouver Outpost (Vancouver, Washington) and the Fort New Inverness Garrison (Atlanta, Georgia).